Sunday, December 17, 2006

Forgotten war victims in Kg Lui

Last Thursday, I went to a Felda scheme in Tementi, Pahang, looking for a story. Along with me was a two-person video crew from office. Anyway, more on that expose soon!

On our way back, we stumbled across a World War II memorial in a place called Kampung Lui, some 35 km from Bahau, Negri Sembilan. Here, about 400 Chinese men, women and children were buried after they were massacred by the Japanese in October 1942.

As an avid reader of the history of Japanese Occupation in Malaya, I was surprised to see this memorial as I has not read about the tragedy nor the memorial.

Anyway, what disappointed me the most was the total lack of proper maintenance of this place of some historic value - overgrown lallangs, rubbish, broken signboards etc.

I have written a special report on it in malaysiakini on Saturday with some comments from historian Prof Khoo Kay Khim. Read it here.

There is also a video clip of the unkept war memorial. View it here.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home