Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Phew! What an election!

Wow! Did anyone predict this? I know! I know! The various polls were quite indicative but really, was anyone expecting this?

What a result? A total blow out for the ruling BN. Serves them right for their cockiness and over confidence.

But first things first:

Firstly, I am sorry over my failure to blog during the GE. The reasons are simple: I have been super busy working during the election with my news organisation. Secondly, I was not just heading the election team in my news organisation, I was also busy writing articles and analyses. It would have been (possibly) a conflict of interest if I had also blogged about the GE.

OK, with that out of the way, lets come to the second issue - regarding my last entry that Samy Vellu will not lose in Sungai Siput. How way off was I? Well he lost and I am glad to acknowledge that it was I who asked the question to Dr Mahathir, whose answer did much damage to SV! If you don’t believe me, look at the video of the Mahathir interview in the news organisation which I work.

Anyway, lets come back to the GE. Wow! Thank god for the Makkal Sakthi - not just the Indians, but also the Chinese AND the Malays. What a swing!?

The BN government always said that don’t street protest, show it in the ballot boxes. He! He! The voters DID show it in the ballot boxes.

The BN government also maintained that the silent majority was with it. How wrong were they? It was the silent majority which actually swung the votes to the opposition.

Never before have we seen such a swing away from the ruling party. Five states - six if you include KL - with the opposition, a strong parliament, and a humbled ruling party IS good news indeed for us.

Today’s cabinet decision also had some surprises - of those dropped and those invited into the inner circle of government.

Changes are bound to happen after this historic election, for the good, I am sure.

Just as I said to my team of journalists on election night, let’s be proud of the changes that we brought and let’s enjoy our place in this historical moment.

Long live Malaysia!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wanted to drop a quick line to say, "HEY! HappY to read again ur writeup after a long time....I really miss ur blog.
2008 GE really make tremendous changes...
As the night has gone on, every now and then there has been a constituency result that has made me splutter with surprise.wishing that losers would be good losers and winners be gracious winners..!

..Regards...M.....

8:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home