Thursday, April 10, 2008

Anwar’s goal: MP or PM?

This is part of an interview which PKR leader Anwar Ibrahim gave to The Jakarta Post today, which I found rather interesting.

Q: You will be eligible again to be voted as state official this month. Do you have any plans to become a parliament member in the next election to pave your way to become prime minister?

A: April 14 is the date when my ineligibility period ends, a period which was imposed on me by corrupt judges who were politically steered. But I've never been worried about or paid attention to that situation, and I've been campaigning all along.

I do have an option (to become a parliament member and run for premiership), but I am not making it my personal agenda. It is more crucial for now to manage the opposition coalition and I will deal with my personal goals in the coming years. I'm in no rush.

I was particularly drawn to this line: “I do have an option (to become a parliament member and run for premiership)...I will deal with my personal goals in the coming years. I'm in no rush.”

He says he is in no rush. Betulkah ini? I guess we may know a bit more of his immediate plans right after April 14.

note:

I just found out that PAS president Hadi Awang was admitted to hospital in Kuala Terengganu this morning, suffering from a mild stroke. He won both the Marang parliamentary and Ru Rendang state seats in the general election.

Imagine the irony if his seats were to fall vacant for Anwar to contest after April 14. Anyways, according to PAS sources, the tok guru is fine!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home