Thursday, June 08, 2006

Mahathir’s painful mistake

This is what happens if you linger on power for too long and don’t allow for a democratic process for the election of your successor. You are bound to be disappointed if you think your chosen one will safeguard your legacy and will not deviate from your policies that you put in place in your rule.

Former Malaysian premier Dr Mahathir Mohamad has finally learned this bitter lesson now. Never one to encourage an open contest for the top posts in his ruling party Umno, Mahathir had the habit of appointing his deputy/deputies.

The one he thought will be the perfect protector of his 22-year legacy, Anwar Ibrahim, had a spectacular fall in 1997.

Then came Abdullah Ahmad Badawi – the quiet one – who was in the opposite camp the last time there was an open contest for the party leadership in 1987.

Mahathir thought Abdullah would be the perfect foil to just linger on for about a term or so and then eventually hand over to hardline Mahathirista, Najib the present deputy.

But sadly for Mahathir things didn’t turn out the way he planned. Abdullah - since assuming leadership in 2003 - now seems to be deeply rooted to his position, and what more, he is making fundamental changes to the system put in place by Mahathir.

Mahathir’s disappointment is very clear from this interview which he gave two days ago.

Excerpts from the interview:

Your biggest blunder?

I have made many blunders in my career. I have helped many people up only for them to stab me in the back. So, it is a common trait for me. I'm in the habit of choosing the wrong people…

Do you think Pak Lah has back stabbed you?

Minor bruises, like saying I finished all their money when I know very well that the country has never been as rich as it is now. Having chosen him as my successor - in fact, he was not the first choice, he was second as he didn't have the highest vote. Najib (Abdul Razak) had. I chose him and I expect a degree of gratefulness. But I was told that I had been involved in mega-projects and finished the money. Nobody has the money now...

Are you engineering the early departure of the PM?

No, I'm not capable of that but when he does the right thing, I have nothing to say or support him but if he does the wrong thing and undermines national interests then I will have my say.

Are you trying to have him replaced?

I can’t have him removed, it is for his own party to remove him, for Umno to remove him. I'm not helping or going around campaigning and tell people, ‘please remove this man’. But I'm supportive of Umno, my party.

Are you confident of the present administration?

If he keeps on doing the wrong things I cannot be confident so I'll keep watching. But it must be something substantial before I pass my comments. Simple things like people do, like getting contracts, I will not say anything.

So, to all the democratically-elected dictators in this world, learn from Dr Mahathir’s mistakes. Allow (free and open) democracy to prosper in thy nation!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home