Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Mahathir: Read the Internet

In his second press conference yesterday, former premier Dr Mahathir had some words for the media, especially the NST group and its bosses. And he says we Malaysians are better off reading the Internet.

The excerpts:

Does that mean that from Pak Lah’s responses and reactions to what you had to tell him, your assessment is that you have not actually achieved much in this meeting?

Dr M: I have achieved the objective of telling him in quite substantial detail. I am quite sure that the reports that are in the controlled press, the spin from people like (News Straits Time group editor) Brendan Pereira and (NSTP deputy chairman Datuk) Kalimullah (Hassan) and all that would have given him a completely wrong impression of what I have done.

Now I have the opportunity to tell him as it is, no Brendan in between, no Kalimullah in between.

So to that extent I am satisfied, no “spinning” that things were not going like that. (Makes spinning motion with finger.)

You said Malaysia has become a police state. Isn’t it ironic because your critics said the same thing about your administration.

Dr M:
...But now, I am not allowed to speak to anybody. I know I'm speaking to the Press now. I know the New Straits Times will have to make some kind of spin about this, TV3 too will have to spin somehow, but fortunately for us that in my time, we have the Internet, so I would advise people to read the Internet and not these newspapers because they are all getting phone calls.

Now, Kalimullah is not here but there is another man on the fourth floor who does the reading.

p/s: Read The Star's reproduction of the press conference here and NST's here and check out the selection exclusion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home